- Show the penny to everyone telling them that the penny represents us. Place the penny on the plate. off to a side.
- Now pour the colored water which represents sin onto the plate covering the penny, just like in life we are covered with sin. (Experiment with the water to see how much to put on the plate for it to work right. You don’t want to use too much water.)
- Then, take the candle that represents Christ and place it in the middle of the plate.
- Jesus is the Light! So light the candle. (A lighter works best. I used matches and after class the hallways smelled of smoke so everyone was wondering what was on fire.)
- Take the clear glass and place it over the candle onto the plate. Within seconds the water will begin to draw up inside the glass, off the penny (us).
- Wow! Jesus took ALL our sin at the cross and continues to this day, forgiving us. What an amazing, loving Savior we have.
I have done this with kindergarten through fifth grades and they all loved it so much they begged to do it over and over again! It is a simple, but highly effective visual for showing our kids how Jesus took on all our sins that day at the cross. That means every sin was no on him. Can you imagine how painful this was for him? But he did it because he loves us and wants us to be with him one day. This visual will be stuck in their heads for all time and one day it just may click not to take Jesus on the cross for granted.